St John's started life soon after the Second World War, when services were held in a small wooden church in meadows to the south-east of the village.
In 1955, the current site on The Broadway was given to the church authorities by Taylor Woodrow Homes Ltd, developers of the surrounding Garden City estate, through the efforts of the then Church Warden, Mrs Dorothy Franklin.
The full story of the development of St John's is given in a booklet, "From 'the little wooden church in the meadows'" compiled by David Townsend. Copies are available by contacting us.
After considerable fund-raising efforts, building work started in 1957 and the first stage of the building was opened on 28th September 1958. The first services, Harvest Festival, were held on the following day. The building then consisted of the main hall, kitchen and toilets, with a temporary wall at the north end - providing space for social activities as well as being a church on Sundays, without a separate chancel.
During the next twelve months the next phase progressed, with the addition of a chancel and vestry at the north end, and the completed church was dedicated on 24th October 1959.
In the early 1970s work at the south end gave a Meeting Room (quickly taken over for storage but now restored as a useful space, especially for Junior Church on Sundays) and an improved kitchen layout. Then in 1978 new vestries were built on the north west side of the chancel , allowing the original vestry to be converted to the beautiful Lady Chapel we now have - used mainly for weekday services when the main hall is available for community activities.
In 2011 extensive repairs were needed to the flat roofs, to deal with on-going problems with rain leaks. Then major renovation work in 2014/15 ensured that the kitchen and toilets are bright, spacious and warm. The kitchen is well-equipped, with range cooker, dishwasher etc - all that's needed to cater for 60-80 for a full meal or about 100 buffet-style. The Meeting Room was also given a face-lift as well as a radiator.
2018 sees the planning for major work to update and enhance the main hall.